January 28, 2015

8 Tips For Craigslist Shopping



I check my local Craigslist 2-4 times per week. Living in a metropolitan area helps because so many new things are posted each day. Over the years I have developed a system to sort through things quickly and efficiently.

1. Check your splurge stores.

 "Splurge stores" are places that I would love to shop at regularly but because of their steep prices I try to only buy things on special or on sites like Craigslist.



2. Know your keywords.

These are the keywords I use to match my own taste, yours may be different but these are a good jumping off point.



3. Sort your searches.

Craigslist has a lot of options that allow you to narrow down your search field. My two most used options are checking "by owner" then selecting "has image". While i'm sure you could score
some pretty sweet deals by rifling through posts without pictures it kind of takes the work out of things.



4. Be quick.

In a city like mine things go fast. When I see something I like I immediately contact the seller.

5. Search the synonyms.

In yesterday's post I discussed picking out a console table for my bedroom that is actually listed online as an entry table. Keep in mind that what you might call a buffet someone else might call a sideboard.

6. Negotiate.

ALWAYS negotiate! Sellers on Craigslist are very informal, often trying to get rid of items even at a loss. Try not to low ball people but always attempt to knock at least 10% off the top.

7. Trust your instincts.

Unfortunately a lot of people use Craigslist to scam others. I have encountered this myself but that was when we were house hunting. It's not fun and they are clever. If it feels too good to be true it probably is.

8. Bring a friend.

When you think that you have found a winner try to bring a friend with you at pick up preferably at a public place.




No comments:

Post a Comment